In Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, hackers attempt to block access of Windows Activation Technologies, comprising of SPP (Software Protection Platform) and SLC (Software Licensing Client), which manages and handles licensing and activation matters on the operating system to the core components or files which are required for its operation. By blocking, preventing, removing and disabling access to or loading of the activation and licensing related system files, SLUI will fail to start, causing activation been circumvented and Windows does not need to be activated anymore, for forever and permanently.
For example, the commands that been used to restrict access to Windows Activation Technologies (WAT) system files are:
takeown /F %WINDIR%\System32\sppcomapi.dll
icacls %WINDIR%\System32\sppcomapi.dll /deny *S-1-1-0:F
Where sppcomapi.dll is the library which controls most of the SPP functions, so nullifying this DLL disables all activation and licensing related functions. And as the activation functionality is disabled completely, the activation grace period (for free evaluation) does not matter anymore, although it may still continue to counting down to 0 days.
The crack is possible probably due to leniency allowed on the part of Microsoft on activation mechanism to avoid getting too many false-positive or complaint on activation error. However, by disabling and turning off the activation component of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, after the free trial evaluation activation free period of 30 days is expired, nag screen to notify and remind user to run genuine Windows and activate Windows 7 may appear from balloon tip at notification system tray, or when launching to run NotePad, WordPad, Calculator or even when opening Control Panel. Besides, there may be desktop watermark of this copy of Windows is not genuine appearing at four corners of the screen, and system cannot pass WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) validation which requires prior to install non-critical updates from Windows Update and some certain programs in Windows 7, such as Microsoft Security Essentials.
Thus, various hackers have came up with tools or utilities which deals with all “side-effects” that follow after activation scheme in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 is disabled and removed, so that Windows OS will continue to operate as it should (no automatic log off or shutdown), no nagging pop-up messages, no use genuine Windows or activate Windows now notification dialog box, and most importantly, pass WGA validation and permanently no product key required to activate the system.
After The notification shows up, your computer will no longer be able to take the updates form Microsoft and it can not install Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11. Just for your knowledge, I would like to share some tricks to remove Windows Genuine Advantage Notification that quite disturbing you at Windows Start Up. Here are the tricks:
1. Click Start, choose Run then type in the box: System 32
2. In System 32’s window, go to Tools then Folder Option, then click on Tab View, then remove check next to Hide Extension for Known File Types option.
3. Find Wgalogon.dll file and rename it to Wgalogon.dll.bak
4. Copy Wgalogon.dll file. Right click on empty space of System 32, then choose New and choose Text Document. Then rename The New Text Document to Wgalogon.dll. Probably you will receive a message says that the file become unusable because you have changed the file extension, I recommend you click Yes.
5. Next step is finding WgaTray.exe in System 32. Open Task Manager, you can press it by pressing Ctrl, Alt and Esc keys together. Choose The Process Tab, select WgaTray.exe, then click on End Process.